Choose Well

NHS Services explained

Hangover – Take care of yourself
Grazed knee – Keep a well stocked medicine cabinet
Pharmacist (Chemist)
Go to nearest Pharmacy
Pharmacists are highly trained healthcare professionals and can give you advice on illnesses and for minor ailments (see below) medicine, you need to treat them.

Athletes foot
Hay fever
Nappy rash
Blocked nose
Sore throat
Cold sores
Head lice
Sprain; strain or muscle   pain
Heartburn and Indigestion
Insect bite and sting     
Minor skin conditions
Mouth ulcers
GP (Doctor)
Being sick
Stomach bugs
Ear pain

Call your GP: Your local GP surgery will provide a wealth of services; advice, assessment, prescriptions examinations and much more.                                                                                                      
NHS walk-in-centre or minor injuries unit

Go to the nearest walk-in-centre or minor injuries unit:
Located throughout the region they assess and treat minor illnesses. The Nearest Walk In Centre is,Park Community Practice, Horne Street Medical Centre, Hanson Lane, Halifax HX1 5UA, 01422 399858.
Opening times: Weekends – 8am till 8pm, Bank Holidays 8am till 8pm.
NHS 111
Unexpected Sickness
Severe Pain
Worsening Health Condition
Unsure                                                    Via text phone call 18001   111                         
Need Help

Ring  111 free including mobiles.
When it’s not a 999 Emergency but you need medical help fast.
24 hours a day.
Via text/phone call 18001 111

You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.
You don’t know who to call for medical help or don’t have a GP to call.
You require health information or reassurance about what to do next.
For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, continue to call 999 
A&E OR 999
Chest pain
Severe bleeding
Head injury/blacking out
Suspected broken bone
Go to A&E or ring 999.
Accident and Emergency Departments provide immediate emergency care in very serious or life-threatening situations.

In an emergency you should go directly to your local A&E department/dial 999

Generally you should treat the situation as an emergency if:
– The person has stopped breathing or their heart has stopped.
– The person is experiencing severe chest pain or is having trouble breathing.
– There is severe bleeding from any part of the body.
– The person is, or has been unconscious.
– There has been a serious head injury.
– The person has a severe burn/scald.
– The person has a severe allergic reaction.
– The person has a numbness or weakness down one side/ or has problems understanding what you are saying.
– There is suspected broken bone or dislocation.
– The person is experiencing severe stomach ache that cannot be treated by over-the-counter remedies.
– The person has overdosed or poisoned themselves.