If you have a blood test or similar taken by the practice, it usually takes a minimum of 10 days to receive the result. It is important that you contact the surgery after this time for your results.
Please note that we do have a strict policy regarding confidentiality and data protection. In this respect we will only give out results to the person they relate to unless that person has given prior permission for their release or if they are not capable of understanding them.
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
You can find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed on the NHS Choices website.
Patient Information Leaflet
- do not eat, and only drink water for at least 6 hours before a Helicobacter Test.
If the test needs to be carried out later in the day, only a light meal e.g. tea and toast, may be consumed before the 6 hour fasting.
- do not take antibiotics for 1 month before the test.
- do not take medicines containing bismuth (such as Pepto-bismol) for 1 month before the test.
- do not take proton pump inhibitors (such as Omeprazole, Lansoprozole) 2 weeks before the test.
- do not take H2 blockers, such as Zantac or Ranitidine, for 24 hours before the test.